Wednesday, March 9, 2011

apology; or more like a rant

I know it's been a long time, and I apologize. A lot has been going on with my life and figuring things out, looking for a job, taking care of John (not to mention having us both be sick with flu, one right after the other- that took up a month of time.) I've also been feeling like I have nothing I've wanted to write about.

But I do have something to say now. I want to apologize for being grumpy, angry, frustrated, or just plain depressed. I know my miscarriage was over six months ago but it still hurts me sometimes. I'm generally fine, but whenever I am around a family with a tiny baby, or a pregnant woman, or women talking about their babies or their pregnancies (which is pretty hard to escape in Provo), sometimes I just want to scream. Or cry. Or be rude. Or all of the above. I'm trying to be nice and I am truly happy for the new parents out there. Really, I am. It's just hard when I hear people talk. "Oh yeah, my husband and I were only off birth control for two months." "Getting pregnant was so easy!" "I had all my kids exactly when I planned and wanted. I don't get it when people complain about getting pregnant. It's like, just do it." (Yes, someone actually said that.)

I guess another thing could be said here. Ladies, if you're pregnant, or have kids, just try to be sensitive. Not everyone wants to hear every single little detail about your kids. I don't mind hearing a little about other people's kids. If you want to tell me something truly interesting about what your kid did, or share a story, I would love to hear it. But don't go overboard, and please, don't turn your Facebook page into a shrine about your kid. I might just be bitter right now, but there is still a line.

Anyway, in all that rambling, the general idea here is I'm sorry about my foul moods. For Lent this year, which actually started about 3 hours ago, I'm deciding to not say anything bad about people. I'm hoping that this will increase my overall mood and make things better for me.

6 comments:

Rachel Ann said...

You are right that partially you are sensitive still but you are also right that everyone can be a little bit attentive to what they are doing. I stopped following a friend's blog because it turned into "Why my baby is better than your baby" and other such posts. Yes, her baby may have completely changed her life but there was no need to talk about it such a manner. I completely agree with you. 100%.

Also, Congrats on your new job! Woo!!!!!

speterson said...

I agree that sometimes people can be go a little overboard (I don't care about your child's green poop), there are many other things to talk about. I hope I haven't been insensitive in any way! Love you lots

speterson said...

That last comment was from Jennie, not Sean just so you know my hubby isn't telling you he loves you=)

Julie Mom said...

You have made some very valid points and good for you for setting a good goal for Lent (but wait, you're not Jewish!)
I agree about the baby shrine stuff too. If someone want to share all the details, they should call the Grandma because nobody else really cares to hear it.
Hang in there, Honey, and I hope you are enjoying your new job! YIpee!

Allie said...

Mom, the Jewish Pope told me to do it!

Meridith said...

Allison, thanks for still coming to my house each month and actually ASKING me about my baby and pregnancy. How annoying that you had to visit teach a pregnant person too. :( Seriously. I hope I haven't made it too hard for you.

I love seeing you—when you come I promise will keep my children comments to a minimum.