Thursday, June 2, 2011

parting the veil (the second coming)

After work on Tuesday I took a stress-relieving stroll through the mall and ate one... okay, maybe two... corn dogs from Hot Dog on a Stick. As I was leaving, I walked by the McNaughton gallery. I always love to see what his newest pieces are, so I walked inside to browse.

As always, he had beautiful pieces hanging. Most religious, and some nature scenes. My mom has a beautiful copy of one of his very earliest desert scenes hanging in the entry way to her house, so I love the nature ones, but the religious paintings have a special place in my heart. I spent a while studying his new one, "Peace is Coming," and was very inspired by it. And then, on my way out of the gallery, I saw "Parting the Veil (The Second Coming)." Few paintings ever touched me the way that one did. I immediately felt the strongest burning in my chest, and such peace, and, of course, it caused me to start blubbering like a child. I stood there and stared at it for at least 10 or 15 minutes as I examined every detail. I finally tried to set it down so I could go, but found myself taking it up to the front counter instead. There was no way I could leave without it going home with me.

With puffy eyes and streaks down my face from tears, I bought it. And, just my luck, it was the artist, Jon himself, behind the counter watching me crying all over the print I was buying. He asked me a few questions, and I had to either nod or shake my head to answer because my throat was so tight. After a moment I made myself try to answer his question, "What is it about the piece that you like so much? What is it that touches you?" I think I choked out something about seeing Christ and the earth together- it makes it so real and is awakening. He shared that in the background, he painted many of his family members that have passed on.

Since I wasn't able to adequately answer the question in the store, I want to share it now. I've lost family members myself, and I think seeing the mass of people standing behind Christ is what initially struck me. Just over a year ago I lost my Grandpa Buzz. I was very close to him and he was the only grandpa I had. I love him very, very much and I feel his presence with me sometimes when I most need him. Seeing that piece, and being able to see my grandpa there in the painting was very special to me.

Like I mentioned earlier, I loved seeing Christ and the earth together, the veil gone. The state of the world is very poor right now. Evil infects almost everything. You can't avoid it no matter how hard you try. I don't know how much worse it will get, but I do know that even right now at this moment, we all need a Savior to come again.


So now the print is currently at Michael's craft store waiting to be put into its frame. I picked a nice one with warm tones and a deep cranberry mat. I'm sure it will look beautiful hanging somewhere in our home to remind me about my Savior and my family and the love and support they bring at all times.

1 comment:

Diana said...

I too think this is a wonderful portrayal of an event that is so difficult to take in because of how amazing it will be, but one that I'm wanting a front row seat to! Glad you like it Allison; I need to add to your collection!