Friday, July 15, 2011

harry potter and the deathly hallows, part 2. or, the end.

Early this morning, at 12:30 am, I began the very last movie of the harry potter saga. And it was everything I could have dreamed it would be.

I won't say anything because I know my mom reads this and she doesn't know how it ends. But I will say that it stayed true to the book when it counted and deviated in appropriate places. Besides little nit-picky things, it was perfect.

I had been working on house ties for our group members for about a week and half, and finished the last a few hours before we left for the movie. I picked Hufflepuff for myself because I honestly believe I would be in Hufflepuff (Just, loyal, accepting). I made Slytherin for Amanda and Craig, Ravenclaw for Victoria and Dan, and Gryffindor for Bryant, his brother and one of his friends. So after sewing eight ties I feel like an expert. I created my own pattern from tracing one of John's church ties and made it up as I went along.
John wanted to be a Death Eater, so I made him a black cloak out of really nice quilted canvas, and decorated it with silver stitching. It turned out to be awesome! He made his own mask, and drew the Dark Mark on his arm.

We had a whittling party last week where we made wands (funny story... I pulled a whole tree branch off of a tree and carried it in the house) and watched the first part of Deathly Hallows.

So last night we dressed, had our wands and Monocle Potter, and headed to Salt Lake to the theatre. We stopped at In-N-Out first for a second dinner, then went to the theatre and got our seats (which were reserved- no waiting in line forever!)





I am so sad that it's all over. Harry Potter has been a major part of my life ever since I read the first book 12 years ago. I eagerly awaited every book and movie release, speculated about what would happen with friends and online, and even sent my resume to the casting directors to try to be an extra in Goblet of Fire (I got a rejection letter because they only cast British actors. I still have my letter!) Even when the seventh book came out I knew that I had the movies to look forward to. But... it's all over.

This was me dressed up as Hermione for the Order of the Phoenix midnight premiere, and then for the Deathly Hallows book release party just a few weeks later.

I can re-read the books, I can re-watch the movies, but I can't experience them again for the first time. I just have to wait and hope that my children will enjoy this series as much as I have.

And here is an awesome parody of Beyonce's Halo



4 comments:

Julie Mom said...

The video is great. I can hardly wait to see the movie. I might need to see it BEFORE it's on DVD this time.

Julie Mom said...

PS -- You all look great in your costumes! What a blast!

Starla said...

Did you see the video parody called Firebolt? Here's the Deseret News link to it: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700151730/BYUs-Harry-Potter-parody-video-is-a-YouTube-hit-Divine-Comedy-releases-Firebolt.html

Looks like fun! :D Love you!

Sean and Jennie said...

You are so talented Allie! The ties turned out amazing and it looks like you all had so much fun=) It was a fantastic movie, but it is kinda sad to have it all end.