Wednesday, March 28, 2012

my heart is too big for its own good

The last month or so there has been a large, orange tabby cat hanging around my work. When I would either come or go this cat would rub up to me and offer some very loud, pleased purring if I would spare a few minutes to pet him. Some new information came to light recently that this sweetheart did not have a home, but lived in a tarp-covered trailer in the back parking lot. A few of the staff did not like the cat because the girls would often steal food to feed it, play with it, and occasionally sneak it inside- not necessarily bad things, except that a few of the girls are allergic to cats. It has become a problem and a nuisance (I just learned how to spell that word. It is probably one of the oddest words I have had to learn. That silent "i" is a nuisance all by itself).

So after talking with John, we both felt that the cat needed to find a home. And he has found a temporary(?) home with us. I went and picked him up today while the girls were at their cooking class at MATC. I felt that I had plenty of time to find the cat, throw him in the car, and take off. However, not 30 seconds after I arrived, the van pulled up and all of the girls piled out. A few got pretty upset that I was taking the cat, but I think all of them finally admitted that the cat was safer and happier in a real home with warmth, food, and clean water.

So, I took him home, fed him some de-worming medicine, and he settled right down. He was very nervous in the car, and looked worried when I brought him in, but as soon as I set the food down, after inhaling it without chewing because he was starving, he looked like he was there to stay. We introduced him to Suki briefly. She was very angry. He was very friendly and interested. I can tell he wants to be friends with her, but she is not ready to share her territory.

Anyway, I'm going to get him immunized in the morning. We're giving him a trial run to see if Suki warms up. We'll give him a week- if she's still growling, hissing, and hiding under the bed, we'll find a nice, new home for him. But who knows, maybe she'll get over herself. She acted this way around my parents cats when she first saw them, and a few days later didn't seem bothered. I'm hoping the same happens here. He really is the sweetest cat I have ever seen and I wouldn't mind letting him join our family. He is definitely a lap cat and loves to cuddle. He is also already litter trained, which makes me think that he had a home once.  If you are looking for a cat, he is wonderful, friendly (I don't know about children, but he did great with hostile Suki), de-wormed, immunized, and neutered. I will let you know if we need to find a home for him.

And now we aren't sure what to name him. The girls made me promise I wouldn't change it from the name they gave him, but it is truly horrendous- Boscar. I have wanted to name a cat Momo for a while, but I'm not sure if that fits him. John wants to name him Winston, and I'm thinking maybe Watson. I'll put a poll off to the side and you can help. Sorry about the bad quality. This is the only picture I have, and it was taken with my phone.


2 comments:

Sean and Jennie said...

What a beautiful cat! I hope you get to keep him=)

Jules said...

Oh, what a lovely cat! I hope Suki warms up to him. Maybe she's having trouble because he's a boy?