Saturday, August 4, 2012

movie villains

I watched The Shawshank Redemption with John this evening for the first time. We saw it sitting in the $5 bin at WalMart, so it came home with us. I really enjoyed it, but held onto a deep hatred of the Warden, and started making a mental list of the most evil villains in films. At first I tried to assign an order, but it got really hard to rank who was more evil. The last on the list is definitely, unquestionably my number one, but the rest are all pretty equal to each other.

Nurse Ratched (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest)- The mistreatment and unprofessional punishments she inflicted upon the patients was heart-wrenching.

Iago (Othello)- Scheming home-wrecker. Watching his plan fall into place is so depressing.

Warden Samuel Norton (The Shawshank Redemption)- What a cowardly, selfish man. I was unhappy with his easy out he took at the end.

Bob Ewell (To Kill a Mockingbird)- Can I assign the description white trash to him? Drunk, lying, abusive white trash?

Percy Wetmore (The Green Mile)- He just made me so angry and upset! Just an evil, small man.  He got what was coming to him.

Captain Vidal (Pan's Labyrinth)- Cold-blooded abuser and murderer.

Heath Ledger's Joker (The Dark Knight)- The psychological torture he put the people through made my whole heart hurt, and really upset me.

Dr. Hannibal Lecter (The Silence of the Lambs)- Creepy, psychotic serial killer. Although, he was a bit fascinating to watch.

"Buffalo Bill" (The Silence of the Lambs)- Another creepy, psychotic serial killer, but not fascinating to watch. Just depressing and horrifying.

Amon Goeth (Schindler's List)- He made me outright sob multiple times during the movie because of his actions against the Jews in the concentration camps, and I hadn't been affected by any villain like that before or since.

I'm know there are plenty of other villains who deserve to be listed here. Who would be added to your list?

1 comment:

PJ and Annie said...

Shawshank redemptio is on of my favorite movies. It's ahard brutal one, but it was SO well done!