Sunday, July 12, 2009

perfect men

There is a long list of men in literature that are essentially "perfect" men. Most are classics and have been around for years. Enter most of Austen's lead male characters, like Colonel Brandon, but the number one being ever-popular Mr. Darcy. And we'll throw in Gilbert Blythe from Anne of Green Gables, and Mr. Rochester from Jane Eyre for good measure. Oh, and we can't forget Heathcliff or Rhett Butler.

But there are some newbies that fought their way onto the list. It's hard for the modern men to reach the standard of the classics. The first that pops into my head is Edward. Perhaps that's because the Twilight series is still so recent, or because he sparkles. I don't know if many people would count in Harry Potter, but he makes it onto my list. While a little angsty, that's understandable as he is a puberty-going adolescent boy. But he has guts, courage, and a caring heart. Many times he makes sacrifices to save his friends. As does Cedric Diggory. Any more modern examples would be appreciated.

I am now ready to induct a new man to the top of the list. (Besides my husband, who is indeed perfect in my eyes).

Peeta Mellark from Suzanne Collins's The Hunger Games. He's better than Edward, in my opinion. He's selfless, respectful, kind, loving, and repeatedly risked his life to save the girl he loves.

I fear about saying too much because I don't want to spoil anything about this book, because it is a fantastic book. It's the first in a series of three books, with the second to come out this coming September. It has a very original plot, very clear and concise detail, and wonderful characters that are easy to love.


The only thing I dislike is the writing style. Of course, it's not a negative because it's the author's personal choice, but it wasn't to my taste. It followed the thought process of the main character, so it was very appropriate. I just didn't like how choppy it was, and didn't appreciate the run-on sentences or the sentence fragments. They are hard for my English-trained brain to ignore, so I get caught up on them. Like I said, just a personal opinion, not a criticism.

But, really. You HAVE to read this book. It's one of my new favorites. Please, do it. And when you do, let me know how you liked it! It's a book for all audiences and hard for someone to dislike.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

heathcliff? he's a horrible person... haha wuthering heights is sad... although its also the reason i got a 4 on my AP test though, cause the essay prompt was perfect for heathcliff, and i happen to write like 6 pages on it... haha...

peeta can marry me, she better not choose gale.

can i be honest? i was so caught up in the story line, that i didnt even notice the long run ons or anything like that... haha i guess im not as well trained as you! haha

Anonymous said...

Did someone say Wuthering Heights?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW3gKKiTvjs

Likeursoperfect said...

Um...I kinda hope that she does choose Gale. He was there first, and he has been there for her. And she obviously has feelings for him. I don't think that she should choose Peeta unless she has genuine feelings for him. Just because he has feelings for her doesn't mean that she should automatically go for him. I guess we'll see if that opinion changes in September.

And I agree. Heathcliff is a horrible person, and would definitely NOT make my list for the perfect man.

Unknown said...

Gale is the perfect match for Katniss in every way! But I think after the games they'll have grown apart. Nothing can go back to what they were.... Peeta may be perfect in action, but he is also helpless in many ways. Unable to protect Katniss with her superior skills. Katniss needs someone who is independent, like herself, both is habit and mind! Gale fits this bill for her. He is independent, protective, talented, skilled, confident, handsome, strong, and free-thinking. Katniss will need someone like this in the coming tumult she has caused at the capitol! he he... Peeta may be romantic, but Gale is intelligent and skilled.

Tiffeny said...

Jonathan and I both loved it! And I just lent it to a neighbor. We're excited for the next book to come out!

Rachel said...

Don't forget Mr. Knightley! He's my favorite.

Anonymous said...

I picture Gale as being the stronger of the two and the perfect counterpart to Katniss. Peeta was prepared to die for her, but maybe Gale just hasn't had the opportunity to prove himself in that way yet!
Can't wait to read more of these guys!

Anonymous said...

PS-- I think the pin is some sort of secret signal!