By John's request I am telling this story.
After my English class this afternoon, I met up with John and we headed to the Cougareat to grab some lunch before Men's Chorus. He went to wait in line while I scoped out a table. I found one, and got out my computer to work on an essay. A few minutes later, a guy approached me and asked if he could sit. Without really looking up, I said, "My husband will be here in a few minutes. You can totally sit if you don't mind sharing with us." I didn't think anything of this, since the Cougareat was packed and there weren't any tables open. I've sat with strangers many times before.
A few minutes later John came over and sat down. Then, moments later, the guy got up, said thanks, and left. I observed that he ate really fast. I was surprised he was done so quickly. A little while later, John and I finished, and cleared our table to leave. A boy sitting at the next table stopped us and asked what was up with that guy. I just replied that he only wanted somewhere to sit. Then he went on to say that he had come up to ask if he could sit with me, and when I mentioned my husband, he got flustered, and embarrassed. Then I offered him a seat anyway, and he took it not wanting to look stupid, he sat down and scarfed his food as fast as he could. He said that was the one of the greatest things he had seen all day. That's when I realized what had happened. I am so oblivious sometimes. Plus, I was a little busy with an essay. John thought it was hilarious, just like the time when a BYU rugby player tried to ask me out.
A few weeks ago I stopped by the window of the BYU bookstore to watch a clip of the championship rugby game. There were two guys and a girl next to me. After I stood there for a while, they huddled up in a corner talking. I just ignored it and kept watching. I then noticed that, after they broke their huddle, the guys were talking about what positions they were playing in the game. I then said to one, "Oh, are you on the team? Is that you playing right now?" and before he could answer, the girl replied, "Yes! He's the star player. And he's single!" The guy got a huge smile and looked at me. I laughed a little and said, "Sorry, I'm married," and pulled up my sleeve to show my ring. Then the guy blurted out, "See! I told you she was probably married or something!" and the girl yelled, "How was I supposed to know? I was helping you out!" AWKWARD. So that's what they were huddled up about. I laughed a little and a few minutes later discreetly left in the crowd.
Either I'm more appealing as a brunette, or less intimidating than I was as a blonde. Either way, I kind of like being able to say, "No, sorry. I'm married," and know that I am blessed with the BEST husband in the whole world!!!
2 comments:
oh my goodness. i am laughing out loud. thanks for sharing and making my day.
Well I certainly wouldn't say "Sorry" before saying I'm married. That sounds like, "Well, if only I weren't married...But hey, there's probably a way to get around that."
That's like the waiters who come to your table and start off your evening with a "Sorry to make you wait." I want to ask such waiters (or waitresses, as it may be) why they had the audacity to try my patience like that. Oh, wait. It wasn't the waiter. It was the previous customers who wouldn't leave the second I showed up to eat. Totally the waiter's fault.
How about something more ameliorating, like, "Thanks, and by the way I'm married! I highly recommend the institution, and I'm happy to see that you're a supporter."
Easy for me to say, though. I haven't had any girls try to ask me out on a date. A guy did ask if he could sit at my table the other day, though. I wonder...
Post a Comment