Tuesday, April 14, 2009

kin of my line

Meaning no offense, but I'm glad that I'm getting a new last name. True, it will be a bit sad to be that much more disconnected from my family, but I truly am glad I will be a Jeppson soon.

I'm not just saying this. It's for practicality's sake.

Typical conversation:

Person: "And what is your last name?"
Me: "Hines."
Person: "Excuse me?"
Me: "Hines."
Person: "Um, how do you spell that?"
Me: "H-I-N-E-S."
Person: "Okay, thank you."
Writes something not even close to Hines.

And even after hundreds of conversations like this, 90% of the time my last name is still spelled wrong. Here are the many ways I've seen it spelled.

Heinz
Hinz
Hiens
Heines
Henez
Hinez
Hienz

And that's all I can remember.

So, the moral of the story is, I'm going to be glad to be a
J-E-P-P-S-O-N :)

It is more American sounding, isn't it? I'm sure it will still get misspelled (I'm predicting many Jepson spellings) but at least you don't sound like you're sneezing when you say it, or like you have to yell it like an angry Hitler to get it right.

No more being compared to ketchup, no more comments that I'm probably related to John Kerry's wife, no more explaining that it's like the cake mix and then have to further explain about Duncan Hines cake mix brand. Seriously, no one under age 50 has heard of Duncan Hines cake mix unless you actually are a Hines.

PS Does anyone know of any good D boy names?
And no, not Dwight.


Quotes of the Day:

Me: "That was all John's cleverness. I'm not that clever."
John: "Oh, yes you are. Good thing looks aren't everything."
Me: "Did you just call me ugly? Or are you dissing on yourself?"
John: "Me."
Me: "You are so not ugly. You are definitely the most attractive guy I've ever met and I think you are incredibly handsome. You're better than Edward."
John: "Yeah, because Edward doesn't exist."

and

Brian: "Dude was white."

5 comments:

Likeursoperfect said...

I am EXCITED to be a Hines! I think it's the coolest last name ever. I'll really be a Hines 57, and it actually shows my Irish descent well.

-Sydney- said...

Well how about this Allison:

Jepson
Jepsen
Jeppsen
Gypson
Gypsom
Jetsons

Anonymous said...

Here goes:
Donelle,Donagh, Dionysius, Doane, Denorit, Diamonta, Dianthe, Diella, Dieter, Davu,Darnell, Dard,Devnet, Deverelli, Devaki, Desiderio, Desdemona, Dempster, Deiondre, Deianira, Darshan, Dario, Dagan, Dacey, Dagny, Dagmar, Damaris, Danior, Derex, Delfina, Darshan. There's more just as bad as that. I only got to page 10 of 300! I found them on a baby name website, so they are real, but if you name my grandchild one of them I will call him Hey You.

Anonymous said...

I know!

Daryl. Spelled like Daryl, but pronounced Da-RELL'

Likeursoperfect said...

Haha. For some reason when I read the title today, I read "Kind of my line" instead of Kin. What about Derek, Darren, Devin, Dickson, Dustin, or Dylan?