Wednesday, April 1, 2009

time to pay the bills


I got a job!!! I am SOOO excited! I've been looking for one all semester, and I finally got one!

I'm working at the burger place, Scoreboard Grill, in the Cougareat five days a week. I'm on cashier mostly, but they trained me to do the line today for lunch. So I can make the burgers and fries, and all the in between. And I actually really like it. I like lunch better than breakfast, though. Breakfast is more confusing and not as busy.

(psst... the burgers... they don't look like that. Well, they sometimes do until we squish them down in the wrapper... and we don't melt the cheese... But the teriyaki burger... it is amazing.)

The only bad part is that on Tuesdays and Thursdays I work at 6:30... so I have to get up shortly after 5:30... so I'm starting to go to bed earlier. And then I have to get up for class at 7 on the other days and start work at 10. So there go all my sleep in days. But it's nice. I'd much rather work early and have all day afterward than to work in the afternoons or at night.

I finally got a real name tag with "Allie" on it. For the last few days I've been wearing a burger label. I was the hottest "Double Cheeseburger" that there ever was.

I got off work at 2 today, and John starts work at 1, so there is an hour overlap of our shifts. Since he does receiving, he goes around to all the stores, and so I saw him for a bit today! It was fun. There I was flipping burgers and making grilled onions when I hear this cat call whistle behind me. Not really thinking, I turned around and saw John behind me! It was a fun surprise :)

Okay, a story! So then I got off and went down to the commissary to see what John was up to. He and Ben Leatham (his coworker from my stake back home... his younger brother Joe was one of my best friends in high school. Weird, huh?) were just about to go out and stock some of the drinks, so I decided to ride up in the elevator with them to the main floor. So we went in and about half way up we got stuck. We tried everything, and finally had to push the call button. They eventually sent someone to fix it, but we were in there for about 20 minutes. To pass the time we read the graffiti on the walls, and the boys played tic-tac-toe. I made the observation that if we were stuck in there for a long time, at least we wouldn't get thirsty or dehydrated... there were about 30 boxes of random juice, soda, and water in there with us. It was a great adventure.

So I'm not making bank, but it's better than nothing. I'm very happy to finally be pulling in some income. I'm going to be saving most of it to pay for rent this fall when I move in with John.

Speaking of which, we signed a contract this week. We're going to be living in College Park Apartments on 6something N and 100 W. I am very happy and very excited! Now if only we can find somewhere to live in the summer...

John and I went to a charity auction ball this last weekend. We had so much fun! We got all dressed up- John in his new tux and me in a slinky black dress- and went over to the Provo Library, since it was in their ballroom. They had the BEST truffles I have EVER had in my life! I've dedicated my life to finding/making up a recipe to match them. So they had a silent auction going, then did a live auction. I won engagement pictures for only $30 in the silent auction, and John won a prep coarse for the MCAT. It usually costs about $1600 (for the class, materials, practice tests, etc. Ridiculous, I know), and he won it for $625. We were very, very excited. So he'll be starting that prep course this winter so he can take the MCAT next spring.



Other than that, my classes are going amazing, I was enjoying the warmer spring weather until it started snowing today (God's April Fools joke, I suppose), and my fiance loves me. Life is good.

Oh... and I saw the LLAMAS!!!!!!!!
John says I can have one someday. I already named my llama Carl.

I couldn't wait so I eloped with one. I guess John wasn't very happy...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't know dresses could be slinkies?

Allie said...

Slinkies are like liberals... not good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.

Rachel said...

Can I name my son after your llama? I think he would appreciate that.

Marla said...

I LOVE Regina Spektor (sp?) It sounds like you are making lots of progress. Don't forget to mail stuff. Love you, kid.

Marla