First of all, I got in a car accident on Tuesday. I feel so dumb! I was on University Ave in the Impala (my mom's car, not mine, so I felt sick when it got smasho-ed). There was an accident on the side of the road, out of the way, might I add, but everyone still decided to slow down to look. A Jeep Cherokee in front of me came to a sudden stop, I tried to come to a sudden stop, but didn't. The Impala's breaks aren't the best ones in the world... So I hit him.




Luckily just his bumper was damaged, and my car got most of it. There isn't any damage to the functional parts of the car, just body damage, so I was really lucky for that. The 85 year old man I hit was very nice to me. I apologized profusely and he said, "It's just a bumper. You can always use a new bumper." I was so worried that he'd be furious with me and that would've just been worse.
I called 911 to report the accident and an officer came to see us- the same one that was at the previous accident. We gave him our licenses, insurance, and registrations and wrote up statements about what happened. After our info was taken down he dismissed the older man and stayed to talk with me. He asked, "What happened?" I was perfectly calm about the whole incident when I explained. "There was another accident on the road so everyone slowed down. I tried to slow down, too, but I didn't in time so I hit him. And I feel so awful because I tried to slow down and was being so careful but it's still my fault. I have to take responsibility for it and I know that it was all because of me."
At that point I started bawling, which made me feel even dumber. But the officer was so nice. He said, "Allison, accidents happen and sometimes, even when it's considered your fault, you can't stop them and they aren't even really your fault." At that point he said that by law he has to issue a citation, so I just nodded and said I'd take one. Then he debated with himself for a while and said that he hates giving them out sometimes. Then he decided that he didn't want to give me one. I said I didn't want him to get in trouble and that I would take it, but he didn't give it to me. I was SO relieved! I don't know how much it would have cost me or what it would've done to my driving record.
And the rest of the week has just been so crazy- I can't even talk about everything. But the BYU game against SDSU was amazing tonight! The first quarter was just incredible! It was so fun watching it with John and Amber. We had a great time!
In a blast from the past moment, I found this picture of me from sophomore year. I didn't know I was so sexy :)
3 comments:
Crazy week! I hate accidents... you end up hitting replay is your head a million times and wishing for a different outcome! I saw your picture before I read the text and I thought you had dyed your hair! Have a better week!
Sorry about your car accident. Are you OK physically? Even when it's a relatively small crash, it messes with your head so be brave!
BTW: take the 'was' out of the very last statement :)
What a NICE officer! So glad you're okay. For all things considered that was a pretty lucky accident. No one yelled at you and you didn't get cited and not severely hurt. I agree with Christina--the replay is the worst part!! But you can't change what happened so you have to just make yourself let go. . .so hard to do.
Post a Comment