Monday, June 8, 2009

all in the timing

The one night I was planning on going to FHE... the one night that Amanda is gone, and John is at work until late and I'm home alone and actually motivated to go... the one night it's a big ward movie party at the Bishop's house...

I get assigned to read all of Othello for my English class and write an analytical paper about it.

Ugh.


Quote of the Day about the Greek tragedy Antigone:

Professor Gordon-Smith: "So, does anyone like this play? Anyone?"
Silence
Professor: "You all hate it. Great. Well, I guess let's talk about it."

and

Student One: "I liked the messengers coming in. Everything happened off stage, and I thought it was kind of fun to see them come in and explain what was happening."
Professor: "So you liked it?"
Student One: "The play? Um... I liked the messengers..."
Professor: "Okay. I get it."

and

Student Two: "I didn't like Antigone at all."
Professor: "Well, we've pretty much already established no one liked it-"
Student Two: "No, I meant the character. It was almost like she wanted to die. Like she wanted to be a martyr. And well, I guess I didn't like the play, either. Sorry."

and

Student Three: "The more we talk about it in class, the more I get it, and start to like it."
Professor: "Oh, thank goodness."

and

Professor: "So, how can we apply Antigone to modern day, in both a religious and political sense?"
Student Four: "Well, I've been reading essays about how a lot of people think that America is going to turn Socialist."
He goes on about how it compares to the play

Student Four: "And I guess you can take the political statement about Creon and Tyranny in Antigone and apply that here."
Professor: "So what you're saying is that Obama is like King Creon and going to bring the Socialist downfall of America? That was a joke. Laugh."

No comments: