There is a trial that is going on through the University of Utah that I am going to participate in. It's called the EAGeR (The Effects of Aspirin in Gestation and Reproduction) trial. They claim a woman has a greater chance of conceiving and having a successful pregnancy by taking a baby aspirin every day. The aspirin is supposed to increase blood flow to the reproductive organs and help create a richer, thicker uterine lining for a fertilized egg.
The website says that there have been some studies of aspirin use and pregnancy and pregnancy outcomes. Available data suggest that low dose aspirin (LDA) may have the potential to favorably impact several aspects of reproduction including:
*Conception (getting pregnant)
*Implantation of the fertilized egg into the uterus
*Miscarriage
*Late fetal death (stillbirth)
*Preeclampsia (a condition during pregnancy characterized by high blood pressure, swelling in the legs and protein in the urine)
*Small for gestational age fetus (SGA; weight of the baby at a given number of weeks of pregnancy)
*Placental insufficiency (a complication of pregnancy in which the structures that help bring oxygen and nutrients to an unborn baby develop abnormally affecting the growth of the baby)
*Preterm birth (before 37 weeks of pregnancy)
So far it's been very successful with their participants. I don't know if I will be taking the baby aspirin or the placebo every day, and neither will my nurse, but hopefully with their monitoring and direction they can help either way. I'm pretty excited to help them with their research.
2 comments:
This will be very interesting to follow! I wonder who the first smartie was to discover this baby aspirin miracle. I will be crossing my fingers for you :) !!
This gives new meaning to "baby aspirin" too!
Post a Comment