Tuesday, May 20, 2008

new music

So I changed my music player. I've put on songs that I practice dance to. Hurrah.

"Hips Don't Lie": So the first is a samba. It's a Latin dance, and uses an insane amount of hip action. I just started learning it today, and I know I'm going to love it... I hope.

"Dark Waltz": The next is a waltz. I think everyone has seen waltz. It's beautiful and graceful, but one of the hardest to do. You have to perfect every detail because it goes so slow.

"It Don't Mean a Thing": Quickstep! It's so fun! I started learning this today, too. It's a fast standard dance. A really bad imitation of what it looks like is if you do a fast walk, add some skips, and do a small jump every once in a while. Maybe not so much fun to watch, but definitely fun to dance.

"Muevelo": Next is a cha-cha. Another Latin. Step forward and throw your hand to the side, throw in little hippy, smooth side chasse steps, and you've got yourself a cha-cha.

"Night and Day": This is a foxtrot. It looks just like waltz, but it's not. When you get to the higher level foxtrot, it's hard to tell a difference between it and a waltz. I guess you can tell because there are quick steps in a foxtrot. The basic is slow, slow, quick, quick. Waltz is all slow. However, you can waltz to foxtrot timing and music, so I really don't understand why foxtrot exists. It's probably my least favorite.

"She Will Be Loved": Rumba. The dance of love. Aww. Act sexy and look at your partner like you want them more than anything at that moment, step on a straight leg, and don't move anything above your waist. Basic rumba.

"Little Deuce Coupe": And last is triple swing. This is one of the American dances. It's way fun, and very bouncy. A combination of rock steps and triple steps (like a ball-change in jazz) with some fun turns gives you triple swing.

I hope none of you are trying to learn how to ballroom dance from these descriptions.

No comments: