"Data Center, this is Allison"
Boooooring. Who wants to be themselves?
I volunteered working for the Poli Sci and Statistics departments at BYU helping with the exit polls yesterday. It was pretty fun. I was there for about an hour and a half yesterday evening. I didn't go out to the polling places and take the surveys. That would have been fun. But I got to stay at "headquarters" on campus and do data entry. I got to wear a fancy head set and sit at a computer. The surveyors would call and give me the answers to people's surveys, then I'd enter that info into the computer so they could get data throughout the day- and try to predict how the election will turn out.
I had imagined that I would be constantly answering the phone and be really busy. But I think I got a total of three calls the whole time, and I'd enter 3-5 surveys per call. So, I made friends with the people around me. We had a good time. We talked about the election mostly. But also about random things.
I wanted to answer the phone with a cool name every time. So I did.
"Good evening, data center, this is Yolanda. You are awesome." That was my favorite. Because the guy I was talking to called me Yolanda.
"Hey you've reached the data center. This is Ruth. What's up?"
"Data center, this is Betty. How is your night going?"
Unfortunately I didn't have more calls because I had more names I wanted to use.
I wish I had had my camera because I wanted to take a picture of me all official donating my time to the election, doing my civic duty and all that. But I went to Costco with my broski and Tristan (I got peanut butter and crackers and Grape Nuts :) I want my Grape Nuts) and didn't have time to go home before I went to campus. So alas, no camera. Oh well. Next time. I'll definitely be doing this again!
In other news...
Prop 8 passed! YAHOO!!!! California, you have renewed my faith in thee!!!
And Nevada went blue. I'm surprised. We've usually been red. I guess Vegas is pulling us down. Curse you, Vegas. You consistently make my life more complicated.
1 comment:
HEY! I'm from Vegas....And you love me! =P
Post a Comment