A late 1800's Victorian style dress.
Here is my vision:The bottom dress is a dark midnight blue- I was thinking some kind of silk-like fabric; muslin, or a taffeta. Then for the overlay, a very sheer white/blue. And of course a shimmery sheer ribbon for the bow.
The best thing about this dress is that I wouldn't have a problem wearing it to church. But the main reason I wanted it is for a party.
The Breaking Dawn midnight release party at Borders is in a few weeks. I'm dressing up like Rosalie. I came up with three options at what I could wear to the party.
1) Pre-vampire Rosalie lived in England in the late 1800s. I was thinking of doing that era. I could wear this Victorian era dress and maybe wear a sweet hat and bring a parasol.
2) Modern day Rosalie when she went to prom at the end of Twilight. "Her vivid scarlet dress was backless, tight to her calves where it flared into a wide ruffle train, with a neckline that plunged to her waist." Of course, my dress doesn't look like this, but it is a formal. And it is red. And it is floor length.
3) Find a dress that looks like a wedding dress. Then hold a sign that says, "Edward loved Bella. But then he met me." Thea liked this idea the best. We are going to go look at a white formal dress I saw at the thrift store the other day for her. I think she might do this. It would be really funny!
I don't know I think I'm really partial to number 2. I think that would be a lot of fun. And I would be the best Rosalie there. No 6 year old will beat me in the costume contest this time! Dang you, 6 year old Hermione... dang you.
Anyway, I do have a sewing project lined up, although it's not that exciting. I'm going to make a long standard ballroom skirt. It shouldn't be too hard, and it'll be a lot cheaper than buying one. At a dance shop they're around $50 to $60.
However... the dress wouldn't be that expensive to make. And wouldn't be that hard. It's only 3 yards for the dress, and a 2 3/4 yards for the overlay... Don't let me talk myself into it. And don't let me go in a fabric store unattended. Or with money. Even if I am attended.
Okay, I compromised. I'm going to start working on a cross-stitch instead. I'm going to Wal-Mart in the morning and picking one up. Much less expensive, and will take a lot more time than making that dress. *grumble* I could have that dress whipped out in 8 hours. It's a simple design. A cross-stitch will take double that at least. Well, I'll be glad to have something to do.
1 comment:
i love your title... and i love that you are dressing up... that will be so fun... i'll be sneaking out in the middle of the night so rachel doesn't know i am picking up the "devil book" and then reading it on campus and then shipping it to my sister... ahh... i miss sewing... let's have sewing parties when you come home...
Post a Comment