Last night I went up to the Tahoe Shakespeare Festival at Sand Harbor to see A Midsummer Night's Dream. It was so good! The acting was incredible. The setting was very different, though. It was modern, with the adults in all neutral chic costumes. Hermia and Lysander were in goth black baggy chain numbers, while Helena and Demetrius were wearing preppy, Hollywood styles.
The most interesting to me, though, was the fairies. The director made a bold move to not go with the traditional glitter, gossamer, and winged fairies. They were actually Native American fairies. It was surprising to me at first, but as I listened to the dialogue, it's actually very justified. There are a lot of lines that support the choice. I loved having it be non-traditional. It gave the play more life. I've seen it plenty of times performed by different companies, and it can get tedious seeing it the same way every time.
And another thing, Bottom and the Pyramus and Thisbe play were absolutely hilarious. That had always been my least favorite part of the show. But the way it was performed last night was the funniest version I had ever seen in my life. I was laughing so hard I was afraid that I was disturbing the people around me. Thea said that she hadn't heard me laugh that hard before 3 AM before.
Quotes of the Day:
Marla: "It looks like a tent with a moose behind it."
and
Jeff: "I don't want to chat with him. He might throw a rock at me."
No comments:
Post a Comment