General Conference was SO awesome. Before, my ward had a breakfast party. The Elder's Quorum cooked breakfast for whoever wanted to come. It was nice because it wasn't a ward activity. It was a volunteer thing. So I ate a waffle, and then stayed and watched Conference with some of the cooks. They even invited me back for the afternoon session! So I came home, relaxed a bit, grabbed some M&Ms to share, and went back to watch the afternoon.
I loved both of the sessions. Although, if I had to chose one or the other as my favorite, I'd definitely go with the afternoon. Two of my top three talks came from the afternoon session.
1) Elder Holland's talk about angels. Incredible. I loved the message about Heavenly angels, and how they still come to the Earth today. They did during biblical and Book of Mormon times. So why not today? The world is full of adversity and the angels have just as big of a reason to be here as any other time. That they are here whether they are seen or unseen. And I also love that he said we all have our mortal "angels." Angelic people in our lives who are sent to us in times of trial and who shine with the light of Christ and his love and charity. That made me really happy. I love angels.
2) Elder Corbridge talking about Christ being the only way. He said that Christ's way is the only way to true happiness, and joy, light, and eternal life. And that any other way is just madness. We can choose between two ways in life Christ's way of happiness, or any way else- one of despair, sadness, darkness, (and pretty much every bad term but I couldn't write fast enough). It opened up a lot to me and I heard a lot that I needed to hear. It actually caused a very big change in me, and helped me make a really hard decision that will change a lot in my life.
And this last talk was the very first talk of Conference in the morning session.
3) Elder Perry's talk about a simple life. The essential things for life: food, clothing, and shelter. I loved that he used the Strength for the Youth pamphlet a lot. It was back to the very basics, and nice reminder for everyone, especially the youth of the important, simple things in life. And truly, if you follow those three things according to the gospel, life will be simple, and joyful.
I cannot wait for the sessions tomorrow. The morning should be great while I have a waffle party with Wistie and my roommate Megan, and then I'm going up to Salt Lake to watch in person for the afternoon! Rachel Ann, Wistie, Amanda, and I are all going up together. I can't wait! :D
I love General Conference!
Mmm... I don't think anything could be tastier than chilled, sliced, sweet apples.
Wistie is over and we are watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding. That is one of Wistie's favorite movies. After Fools Rush In, of course. And excellent choice.
Blech I ate like a pig today. I feel sick. It's back to my normal eating schedule tomorrow. I got ingredients for a new recipe I found. It's a bean bake. It's a bunch of canned beans, an onion, green pepper, and green chilis in a tomato sauce. It's like a casserole type thing that you put in a dish and bake it in the oven. Then there is a cornbread crust on the top. Although, there wasn't a recipe for that part, so I think I'll just bake the bread and eat it on the side. If it's good, I'll let you know. I'm also dying to try a butternut squash soup recipe I found. If I ever make that (it's a bit expensive because of all the spices in it... I don't have any of them and spices can be a lot), I'll let you know how that is. I think I will go on a binge one day and just try it.
So I'm going to homecoming! I'm excited! I got a dress last weekend. It's long, and black, and one of the most gorgeous dresses ever. It's being altered right now. I'm just sad because it was a lot be altered. The dress itself was a steal! I love Ross. But to get it altered was about double of the dress price. Ouch. I want to get my hair done at the salon here on campus, but we'll see if I can get an appointment. They might be full. And I'll see how much it is.
I'm reading Midnight Sun. Well, I'm reading the draft that Stephenie posted. The half of the story. I really wish she would finish it. I think she's a brat. She should just finish the book and publish it. I don't care that it got leaked out on the internet. People will still buy the finished copy. It's really good so far. I'm in chapter three.
Quotes of the Day:
Me typing on this blog entry: "General Conference was SO tried-"
Me: "What was I trying to say?"
and
Kellie: "I have a friend who puts her baby in the suitcase when they travel."
and
Wistie: "You have to milk the cow or else it will explode!"
3 comments:
you are so cute Allison. Nice insight about conference. It was amazing!
A hard decision that will change a lot in your life? I hope Elder Corbridge didn't inspire you to become a nun.
I heart your blog! See my blog for details.
Post a Comment