It was so fun! We went and waited in line for a while to get the color (which was brightly colored corn starch). Then we went inside the temple. They had a gift shop, and some Indian food which I'm sure was really good, but I didn't get any. Then upstairs they had a big room with chairs, benches, and rugs, and beautiful chandelier, and a big shrine. There was a big deck all the way around, too. They had a stage outside where there were people dancing and singing. It was way cool. Then at 6, they lit a fire, and the color throwing began! Everyone throws all this powder at each other, and get completely covered. It was awesome!
You can click the pictures to make them bigger.
Amanda and I wearing our Tikkas.
And the color throwing began!
Almost completely covered, but not close to done yet.
Our teeth look ridiculously white. And I look really blonde.
Our whole group right before we left.I had so much fun! I can't wait to go next year. It was so cool to experience a new culture. While we were throwing it there was a guy getting the crowd to chant "Holi Krishna! Holi Holi!" It was pretty cool. I wanted to break into singing "GIRLY MAAAAN!" but I figured that it might quite possibly be offensive... If you don't know what I'm talking about watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtJRNyPK-lc
Although I did do Bhangra, an Indian dance I learned in my folk dance class last semester. It was way cool.
And if you want to see more pictures that what I posted here, you can go to my photobucket. I'll be putting them up sometime tomorrow after church, so check for them soon.
http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/magicalmuggle16/BYU/
So after I got home Ty came over. Since he had a lot of Econ homework to do, he didn't go with us to the festival. And Amanda, Ben, Ty and I went to Cafe Rio. But it was completely packed, so we went to IHOP. It was fantastic. Half the people there were all colorful like we were. Then Amanda, Ty and I went and saw the movie 27 Dresses. It was really cute :) Then I came home and finally got a shower. Since I was covered in mostly red and pink, my shower was interesting. Have you seen the movie Psycho? When all the color was washing off of me and going down the drain, the only thing I could think of is that scene when the girl gets murdered. It was really creepy. But it all washed off surprisingly easy. I was happy.
Quote of the Day:
Ben: "We could have the announcer call for Krishna so we could find him, but I don't think it would do any good..."
and
Me: "Man, we're going to blow out purple snot for weeks."
What I'm listening to: Bhangra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtJRNyPK-lc
Although I did do Bhangra, an Indian dance I learned in my folk dance class last semester. It was way cool.
And if you want to see more pictures that what I posted here, you can go to my photobucket. I'll be putting them up sometime tomorrow after church, so check for them soon.
http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/magicalmuggle16/BYU/
So after I got home Ty came over. Since he had a lot of Econ homework to do, he didn't go with us to the festival. And Amanda, Ben, Ty and I went to Cafe Rio. But it was completely packed, so we went to IHOP. It was fantastic. Half the people there were all colorful like we were. Then Amanda, Ty and I went and saw the movie 27 Dresses. It was really cute :) Then I came home and finally got a shower. Since I was covered in mostly red and pink, my shower was interesting. Have you seen the movie Psycho? When all the color was washing off of me and going down the drain, the only thing I could think of is that scene when the girl gets murdered. It was really creepy. But it all washed off surprisingly easy. I was happy.
Quote of the Day:
Ben: "We could have the announcer call for Krishna so we could find him, but I don't think it would do any good..."
and
Me: "Man, we're going to blow out purple snot for weeks."
What I'm listening to: Bhangra



4 comments:
I am so grateful to the Provo Krishnas for giving my cowtown daugher such rich, cultural experinces without having to pay for study abroad! Thank you, Holi Krishna. Colored cornstarch:$5. The experience: Priceless.
Was that sarcastic?
that was so much fun, and by the way her powder only cost $3.
Me? Sarcastic? How could you say that???!!
I am so glad it was a better bargain than I had originally thought. What a crack up.
Post a Comment