
Can you believe it? Seven years ago today was the incident of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. I still remember everything as if it were this morning. That's quite an accomplishment, because I can't even remember some important things like past birthdays, or the first day of school that well.
I was in 7th grade, just starting middle school. I remember waking up a little earlier that day, a bit before 6 AM, because I heard my Dad's voice. He was talking to my mom about something he heard on the radio. As I got dressed I heard the TV turn on, which was weird, because my parents usually didn't watch TV in the morning. I went out to get breakfast and saw my parents and brother Tyler watching a giant burning building on the news. I had no idea what was going on, and didn't even really realize this was a big deal. I had no idea what these twin buildings were for, or that they were major emblems of America. I figured they must be important, though, because everyone was screaming and my dad was astounded. Not knowing how the building was burning, I figured there must have been a fire or explosion, like in the movies. They showed replays of the plane crashing into the tower, and as my forgiving nature would expect, I figured that it was an accident. That a pilot lost control of the plane and crashed into the tall building.
And that's when I saw it on live TV. A second plane coming out of nowhere, crashing into the second building. At that very instant, even through my young, naive, and immature eyes, that this wasn't an accident. My stomach constricted and it was hard to breathe. I sat there in shock until the bus came, and I rode to school. The bus was uncharacteristically quiet while we all listened to the radio report about the crashes the whole 40 minute bus ride to Pau-Wa-Lu Middle School. Here I heard the report that the Pentagon, another presumably important building, had been hit.
After getting off, I rushed inside to my first period math class with Mr. Carr. He had the news on in the classroom and was watching the newest story about the Pentagon. Most kids were in their classes well before they started in order to watch the news report. It was eerie to see the hallways so empty, and everyone so incredibly solemn. I remember a girl there, but I don't remember her name or how I knew her. I just remember keeping an arm around her to give comfort as she was sobbing. Her uncle worked in the towers, and she had no idea if he was in the building. I even shared in her grief and let a few of my own tears fall. I couldn't believe that some people would hate America so much to the point where they would want to kill a bunch of innocent people. Then, even as class was signaled to start, Mr. Carr made no effort to get up and start. We all sat there for another 15 or 20 minutes watching the buildings slowly burn and collapse.
At that time, I had no idea at all that this was going to be the beginning of such conflict and war between our country and the Middle East. I also had no idea that it would draw Americans closer together and raise patriotism higher than it had been in a long time. I had never seen so many American flags flying from the porches of houses all over the town, and many businesses hanging flags by their front doors.
I am just so incredibly grateful to be living and born in this country. We have so much freedom, and such a great Constitution which was inspired by God. I know that our freedom and the way we live causes a lot of jealousy and hatred from other countries. And that makes me so sad, and even more grateful to be living here, where I can know the fullness and joy of the gospel. I'm grateful to my ancestors who traveled to the New World from Europe, and to those who were first converted to the church. I'm grateful for their faith that helped them persist through the wilderness to Utah valley as pioneers to help the church grow. And I'm grateful for every generation since then. If just one had fallen, I wouldn't have been blessed to be born into the church and have the amazing opportunities that I have. I'm grateful to my parents for making such wise decisions, and especially for getting married in the temple so we can be sealed together forever and share in our joy in God's Kingdom. And for all this, I know a lot is expected of me. And I'm excited and eager to show my potential and do my work here on the earth. I never actually realized that I'm one of the reasons why so many of my ancestors worked so incredibly hard to remain righteous. For me. So I can have a life knowing the Lord and be able to bless my children with that. And hopefully, I can bring others into this light so their own families can know this, too. Wow. I never realized how good I have it.
Quotes of the Day:
Wistie: "My name is not Quinn!"
and
Stephen: "I have stuff in your trunk."
1 comment:
Beautiful thoughts. Beutiful testimony. When did you get to be so grown up? I love you.
Post a Comment