Saturday, September 20, 2008

world of dance

I saw the World of Dance concert tonight. It was so good! I will admit that I'm a little biased, but I thought the ballroom dancers were the best. I was actually disappointed with the ballet numbers. It was really dark depressing music. And really modern. I like the happy, classic, beautiful ballet.

Oh man. Then there were the modern dancers. Okay, story time.

"Once upon a time, there was a small family in Gardnerville, Nevada. The mother of this family had heard that the amazing BYU Dance Company was coming to perform in a nearby town. Full of excitement, she bought four tickets. One for herself, her daughter, her mother, and her father, who reluctantly decided to come out of pure boredom. The night of, they dressed up and drove to the theatre to watch the dancers. But little did they know that it was actually the modern dance team. During the performance, the whole family was confused and a bit unbelieving of what they were seeing. The drive home proved to be the best part of the night as they discussed the dance numbers. The decided favorite was the one where the whole company was twirling around, throwing scarves up in the air and bounding around the stage gaily. But the cherry on top was a comment made by the woman's father. 'If I paid tuition for my sons to learn scarf dancing, I'd kill them!'"

Okay, so I totally respect the modern dancers. They do display incredible talent and are very passionate and committed to what they do. I just don't understand. And have a hard time taking them seriously. So for you, Mom, I thought I'd share something. Do you remember that night when the company did a dance number with colored mats? And how they were wrapped up in them and acting like turtles, and then like big, giant squares with arms, and rolling around in them? They did that number tonight. And I thought of you. And started laughing really hard.

I did love the performance, though. The folk dance team did a clogging number that was absolutely fantastic. And of course, the Cougarettes were incredible.


Quotes of the Day:

Amanda: "We caught a tarantula once. But it died. Actually, it exploded."

and

Jacob: "You're beautiful."
Me: "You are too sweet. Thank you."
Jacob: "You're welcome. Why are you still up? And who's the boy this time?"
Me: "I'm always up late. And what do you mean by your latter question?"
Jacob: "I figgered there was a guy over. At least it'd be a good reason to yet be up."
Me: "No boy tonight."
Jacob: "Get working on that. Seriously."
Me: "You want me to have guys over at my apartment the wee hours of the morning?"
Jacob: "Indeed."
Me: "Okay. I can find one. Give me five minutes... I'll do it later. Curfew is in 10 minutes."
Jacob: "Oh bother. See, if you had a guy over, then I couldn't do this: I love you. And sweet dreams."
Me: "Good night, friend."

and

Amanda: "Why are you up so late? I'm reading. What are you doing?"
Me: "I'm... being a retard?"

and

Me: "You can describe him as my Jacob. I know that's weird, but it's the same exact situation."
Amanda: "So he's going to fall in love with your mutant baby? Weird. Let me know how that works out."
Me: "lol!!!!!! No! I mean in New Moon Jacob, gosh."
Amanda: "Oh, so your second love. I see."
Me: "No. I don't love him. That's Eclipse."

2 comments:

Amanda said...

YA! FOR WORLD OF DANCE AND AWESOME MIDNIGHT QUOTES!

Anonymous said...

So, you have a new boyfriend named Jacob? I am so lost.